Sunday, May 11, 2008

A Nice Mother's Day

It's been a nice Mother's Day. Gilbert had the kids write (or dictate) a favorite memory or what they like about me. He typed them all up, put graphics on each page and bound it in a report cover. It's really precious.

I got a few gifts that I had requested earlier in the year. A DVD series on Travelling the US by train. I love trains and have yeared to ride Amtrak since I was 4 and still hoping to before I die. When I heard about the DVD series I thought that vicarious train travel would tide me over nicely in the meantime. He also got me a DVD series of Agatha Christie movies (with the dectective Hecules Poiroit). The 3rd gift was the updated "Joy of Cooking". That was my favorite cookbook when I was in Jr./Sr. High and living with my parents. I've wanted my own copy ever since. They recently updated it---a bonus!

This was very loving of Gilbert to take note and buy things I've asked for; growing up, his dad always came up with very creative, cutting edge electronics or tremendously expensive gifts for his mom. It's taken a long time to convince Gilbert that neither of those types of gifts says "I love you" to me---expensive things mean I have to be totally stressed trying to eek out groceries and necessities to make up for him spending too much and surprise gifts are not always things I like or can use and there are plenty of things I notice or wish for that I will never or can't buy for myself.

I also got to take a 2 hour nap.

We are going to play a new family board game once the 2 little guys are put to bed shortly. (Gilbert had to go to bed because he works very early tomorrow but I am looking forward to a nice time with the oldest 6 kids.)

It's good to be a mom!

No comments: