Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Your Home! I'm Home!

So often the pace of our life in just trying to keep up with buying groceries, taking 11 people to doctor and dentist appointments, and going to church and outside school activities can take a lot of the HOME out of HOME Schooling.

It might be more accurate to say that I "Van School" some of my children. We take books for them to read while we are driving around doing errands or sitting in waiting rooms. We count things or look for letters in signs as we drive by. We sing songs, tell stories and talk about current events in the car.

I hope I "get points" for flexibility and determination to accomplish something academic on a daily basis, even as we are "on the go". But I am finding myself yearning for more hours, or--what a concept!--being home ALL day, for a change.

Our curly-headed 2 year old boy is an enthusiastic "people person". He is always eager to go places and is very sad when he is left home. Lately, he has started a pattern of meeting me at the door whenever I come home and throwing his arms open wide for a hug and shouting with joy, "You're home! You're home!" If he lucks out and Daddy takes him along on some errands he comes home and through the front door looking for me in a similar manner but saying "I'm home! I'm home!"

In both instances, it is so good to sweep him up for a hug, carry him to the couch and studiously cuddle and talk and "hang out" home schooling. What a good reminder that a key ingredient is simply prioritizing time to just interact with our children and enjoy some focused time with them at HOME.

No comments: